Moldova is a country full of history and sometimes seems that every stone of it breathe with history
There are a lot of things to be seen and everything is upon the person.
Chisinau white stone flower – the capital city of Moldova
If you have the desire to know better the capital city – Chisinau, the history of it and different museums that are situated in the city then we can propose you to make a tour of the city.
The excursion includes survey of the central streets and the areas of city, ancient buildings, monuments that are architectural monuments. You will be suggested to familiarize with the basic museums of city, telling about the history of our land and its traditions. You can take a walk on the paths of the parks, of the botanical garden and the lakes evidently showing the true beauty and riches of our land.
Chisinau is full of monuments, parks, beautiful buildings and churches. There a lot of very old one and during the city tour you will be able to learn more about it.
Beside this there are a lot of museums and they can show you a lot of things from different epochs and sphere of interest.
The rich Moldavian Land has been populated for a long time. Numerous tribes and peoples who lived here either being settled or moving in various directions left the traces of their presence in the form of settlements, fortresses, mounds with or without sepulchers, and separate objects. The most ancient of these are more than 3 hundred thousand years old.
Moldova National History Museum.
More than 260,000 of exhibits that let us learn the ancient and modern history of Moldova. In the department of ancient history the treasure of warlike armor and other items that were found not far from the village Olanesti, have to be marked out. The real "Pearl" of the treasure is the iron fixture with a donative inscription to an Arthemide of Efes temple. The Arthemide temple in a Hilt was one of seven miracles of the antique world.
The sections of a middle ages and new time widely present a rough history of Moldova, numerous wars, dividing of territory, development of an agriculture and manufacture etc.
In section of a modern history, the Moldova participation in 2 world wars is presented.
Besides in the same section the materials illuminating life of the country during last decade (the period of independence)
As the separate exhibition functions " a Gold Pantry ", where for a review treasures of products from precious metals found in Moldova territory are exposed.
The beauty and natural resources of the country, unique works of traditional culture are largely exposed in the National Museum of Nature and Etnography. It is the oldest museum in the country, founded in 1889. The Museums building was erected in 1903-1905 on the basis of architect N. Tiganko project in pseudomauritan style. There were more than 135000 of exhibits in the Museums treasury which indeed form unique collections: botanic, zoological, paleontological, entomological, archeological, ethnographical and many others. A particular interest excites a complete skeleton of Dinoterium Gigantisimus, which resided on the territory of Moldova seven million years ago; carpets of Bassarabia and traditional costumes, collections of insects and curiosum preparations, archeological treasure from Carbune, numismatic treasure from Zarguta and others.
The museum is situated in the central part of Chisinau, its building was erected in the late 19th century to the design by famous architect A.I. Bernardizzi. The materials on the development of archaeological research in Moldova are classified according to the following periods: the Paleolithic and the Mesolithic, the Neolithic and the Early Eneolithic, the Middle, Late Eneolithic and the Bronze Age, the Iron Age, the Slavs and nomads, the Middle Ages in Moldavia. More than 250 thousand exhibits of different epoch are stored in funds of a museum: from old stones century (60 thousand years) up to a late Middle Ages (18 centuries). In collections, there are: tools, weapon, ceramics, and objects of cult, ornament. The special place is occupied by a unique collection of richly decorated ceramics and antic objects (4-3 centuries up to AD). The extremely rare set of ritual items testifies the presence in this territory, the early Indo-European people (beginning 3 millennium up to AD). The rare ornaments black - varnish ceramics testify the dense connections with the antique world. The numerous collections from the different parts of the country open a rough history of medieval Moldavian princedom. In a museum there is a special "gold" fund of products made from precious metals, and only the experts have the access there. Unique gold and silver ornaments and coins, the earliest of which has more than 5 thousand years.
The museum Complex “Orheiul Vechi“- One of the most famous territories with the rest of the former settlements of different civilizations. It is situated on the river Reut rocky gorge and achieves more than 150-200 meters depth. It is about in 60 km from Chisinau. In the caves the first human settlements at the age of several hundreds thousands years. At the rocky top, in VII centuries AD, existed the ghetodaks fortress (they were the ancestors of the Moldova inhabitants). That period the gheto-daks had their own calendar that they used also as an altar for their religious acts. At the opposite bank of the river, one can see the ruins of the Golden Horde “New City“, by the name of Sheihr-ali-Jedid (XIIIXIV centuries). That city was declared as one of the capitals during the Tatar horde expansion to Europe. After the liberation, the powerful fortress “Orhei“ was built (XV century) by Moldavian worriers. Its foundation has being kept up to nowadays.“Our Lady‘s Assumption“ rocky Orthodox Monastery is still existing nowadays ( some sources point XII century as the century of its uprising). It was enlarged for many centuries.
The great number of churches and monasteries is typical for Moldova – the country with deep Orthodox traditions.
Tipova ( about 100 km north of Chisinau) The rocky orthodox monastery, the largest not only in Moldova, but also in this part of Europe is situated on a rocky coast of Dnestr (Nistru). The monks society of this monastery was formed here much earlier than the Moldavian feudal state was created. It is considered, that some cells were hollowed in an abrupt rocky Nistru coast in XXII centuries. ( According to other data in XVI-XVIII centuries.). The period of prosperity begins in 1776, when the monastery extends. The rocky church was divided into the large rooms, separated from each other by massive columns. During the Soviet period, the monastery was closed and destroyed. In 1974 the ruins of the rocky monastery were taken under state protection and in 1994 the church services were renewed. It is considered that the great Moldavian Gospodar (king) Stefan the Great had a wedding here to Maria Voikitsa. According to another legend, the mythological poet Orphey spent here, in the rocky cliffs his last years, and whose remains are lying in a niche of one of cascades of gorge. The arrived here tourists can also visit the impressing gorge of landscape reserve “Tipova“. The earthen fortress of gheto-daks was situated on the one of the rough banks during the antique period.(IV-III centuries BC).Its towers on the high cape are well preserved nowadays.
In 1678 at Cogilnic river sources, in a Codry z one (about 55km west of Chisinau) the court man Mikhail H¯ncu, having followed the wish of his daughter, based the female monastery, where she became a nun by the name of Paraskeva. However in XVII century the wooden church and nun‘s cells were frequently exposed to the Tatar invasions, that‘s why during the hard times the “St. Paraskeva“ monastery was deserted. In 1835 the stone summer church in the RussianByzantium style was constructed, and a little bit later, in 1841, the winter church was erected also. In the period of 1956 - 1990 the monastery was closed by the Soviet authorities, and in its territory the rest home and sanatorium of the Ministry of public health Services functioned. In 1990 at the request of the inhabitants of the nearby villages the monastery started to work again. As for the quality of arrangement and quantity of visitors it is one of the leading among all Moldova‘s monasteries.
Hirjeuca Monastery is situated about 70 km north-west of Chisinau. For the first time the monks community arise in 1740. A little bit later the wooden churches and monks’ cells were built. In the middle of the XIX century during the period of its prosperity, Hirjeuca Monastery was surrounded by the wonderful park with the lakes, fountains and avenues. In 1836 was erected the summer church
“God Ascension “ that is similar with the Cathedral (Chisinau) in its classical style and structure. Later, the winter church “St. Spiridon“ was erected. The great library was situated in the monastery and the church school functioned there. During the Soviet period the monastery was closed, and the sanatorium was organized at its territory. In 1993 the monastery was opened again and became functioned. The widely popular “ Source of youth “, is situated and it has the unusual salutary properties. The visitors of this territory can have a wonderful excursion in the local forest, that is fairly called a real botanical monument.
At one of the very picturesque places in Codry, in about 40 km. north-west of Chisinau, one of the oldest monasteries of Moldova is situated –Capriana. Being founded in 1429, for a long period, it was the place of residence of the Head of the Moldavian Church . He was also patronized by the kings, including Stefan the Great. Moldavian Country chronic writer Eftimiy and the first Moldavian poet Kipryan lived there. Originally monastery was built completely from wood, and later, in 1545 the stone summer church “St., Gheorgii“, and in 1903 “ St. Nicolay“ were erected. In Câprian a monastery the largest monastery library in Moldova was stored, with valuable Gospodars‘ (kings‘) gifts. Having been closed and destroyed during the Soviet period, the monastery was opened in 1989, among first, and soon, it became one of the symbols of the national revival.
Women’s Monastery in Japca. (about 160 km. north of Chisinau). The only monastery that worked during the Soviet period. From the moment of foundation in XVII century, the building of a monastery strongly reminded a real defenses. The first mention of a monastery concerns to 1693, when the monks lived in rocky cells and served in church that was hollowed in a rock. In 1770 the monastery was placed on a present place. At the same time the construction of economic rooms and accomplishment of a monastery started. The rich library was based. At the beginning of the XIX century the stone churches were built. The main church of the monastery was rebuilt for several times and nowadays, it has 3 altars- God Ascension, Transformation and Sacred Cross. The conservatism of the monks community impress all the visitors.
Monastery “Sacred Trinity“ in a village Saharna. Situated in about 110 km. north of Chisinau, at the right bank of Dnestr, the monastery “Sacred Trinity“ is considered to be one of the greatest pilgrims center in Moldova. The only in Moldova relics of St. Martyr Makariy are stored there. And on one of the rocks, according to the legend there is a trace, that was left by God‘s Mother. They say, that once upon a time one of the monks of the rocky monastery(According to one sources existing from X-XII centuries., as for the documentary certificates, from XVII-XVIII century) saw the God‘s Mother luminous front. Having reached that rock, the monks found out a trace - mark, which they have apprehended as a divine message, as the certificate of “Divine Cleanliness“ of this place. Later, closer to gorge, the new wooden church was built and the monastery “Sacred Trinity“(1777) was based. Then on a place of wooden church the old – Moldavian style, stone church was built, and decorated with the rich wall-painting. With the lapse of time the monks community was increased. From the rocky tops, the wonderful landscapes opens the traveler: rocky, region Saharna covered with the wood gorge, with the length of more than 16 km, where more than 30 thresholds and cascades. There is also one of the most important archeological settle with the rests of iron epoch (X-VIII centuries AD) and gheto-daks‘ fortress on a high cape, that was kept, perhaps, better than all other fortresses of this type in Moldova.
Our Lady‘s Assumption. Is approximately in 80 km. south of Chisinau. One can hardly ever call the definite date of building of the only church with the wall-paintings in Besarabia. Whether it was in 1455, when Causeni was based, or the period of Vasile Lupu Gospodar government (1634 - 1653), or even more later. Last time, it was reconstructed in 1763 - 1767 and in such form it is kept up to nowadays. The interior of the church is richly decorated with the wall-paintings executed in style, concerning to the late period of Hureza school (Valahia). Among the strictly religious scenes, the Gospodars who patronized the church, were represented. Quite interesting is the fact , that the church in Causeni is halfway in the ground, and it is explained by a legend, that it has reached our times from times of the tatar administration in this territory. The legend says, that Tatars agreed with the construction of the orthodox church only if it would not be higher than the soldier sitting on the horse.
Men‘s Monastery in Rudi. One of the oldest monasteries in Moldova. Men's monastery in Rudi, has kept during many centuries, the traditional monks style of life, and church " Sacred Trinity", that was erected in 1777, is considered to be a bright sample of cult architecture executed in the old - Moldavian style. The church is situated on a beautiful valley Bulboana river, right inflow of river Dnestr.
Cosāuţ i [kosżuts] Monastery.
Cosauţi is situated 7 kilometers north of Soroca fortress, and about 160 km north of Chisinau. The first documentary mention of this inhabited locality, concerns to January 3, 1509, but as the result of the archeological diggings a human settlement was revealed there, and it was aged 22 thousand years back. Near this Paleolit settlement , in deep gorge, the old medieval monastery is located and it was restored for last years by the craftsman – masons. Near to a monastery the spring with mineral water is located, and a little bit farther, the Dnestr thresholds and unique in Moldova granite quarry.
Beside monasteries there are a lot of wonderful places to be seen as Moldova has a various landscape and even if it is small in surface but it is very various and you can find steppe, plateau, hills covered with century woods or rocks that are run through by many small rivers and small cascades.
The landscape park near the village Ţauli. The monument of the park art.
It is situated in approximately 200 km north of Chisinau, in the center of the village Ţauli, the biggest park in Moldova is situated. It was founded at the beginning of the XXth century around the country estate of the Pommer family. The park is one of the most successful work of the landscape painter-architecture I. Vladislavsky-Padalko, who was avowed in the high society. The dendrology collection consists of approximately 150 types of trees, bushes and lianas, and about 100 forms of these plants are exotic. The park conditionally divided into 2 parts: the upper, where the estate of boyar Pommer is situated and where the dense grid of avenues with the different flower compositions. And the lower part that looks more like a forest that is created from the separate groups of trees, typical for the different geographical territories. Being the biggest in Moldova, the Tauli Park has an amazing grid of avenues and paths, the length of which is more than 12,5 km.
Emil Racovitsa Cave (“Cinderella“). One of the biggest caves in the world is situated in gypseous scurf, near the village Criva, Edinet district (about 265 km north of Chisinau). The length of the underground caves‘ galleries is more than 89000m, and consists of several levels. It takes the third place in the world among the gypseous caves and 8th place among the biggest caves in the world. The cave was discovered in 1959 after the blasting operations in gypseous quarry near the village Criva. After the underground emits became free from the underground water, they were learned by spiliologysts. The big halls were found there: “The Cinderella Hall“, “The Hall with the columns“, “Dacia Hall“,“100meters Hall“ and a great number of galleries, that made the real underground labyrinths, and it is very easy to loss the way and to find the only exit there. There are 2 wells in the caves and some of the galleries are always full of underground waters that join the different levels. About 20 underground lakes were discovered here: “Blue Lake“, “Dinosaurs Lake“, Nautilus Lake“ and others. According to the hydro chemical analysis the water in the lakes are curative. One more inexplicable feature of the “Emil Racovita“ cave is the fact that all the cave is covered with the thin layer of the colored tender clay. The spiliologysts-amateurs created an unusual clay statues that works as a special way indicators to the most interesting for the tourists halls and galleries.
Anomalous natural zone.
Near the villages Tsipova and Rudi there is an effect of the “time loop“. The sense of it consists in follows, that the period of time between the real time and the time that passed may differ in several hours. Another effect is on the part of the road Chisinau Orhei. The car with a switched off engine and with a neutral gear goes up itself. The raising is proved scientifically and noted by the geodesic scientists. The wheels of the car don’t move.
This is not all that our country is famous for. Moldova is a rich country in soil and it has one of the best wines in the world. Moldova’s wine always had prizes for its quality.
Winery visiting. Excursion
Acquaintance with the unique “know-how“ in wine producing
Wine Cellars - State depositary
The special interest is represented with the cellars in villages Cricova, Cojusna, Milestii Mici and Ialoveni
The largest cellars in the world are undoubtedly situated in Moldova, in several kilometers north from Chisinau - in small town Cricova. There, under ground on depth of 80 meters there is a real town of wine makers with streets, tasting halls, warehouses etc. The general length of underground galleries in Cricova is more than 60 km in limestone breeds with constant temperature about +12 Ń all the year round and humidity 97-98 %. That's the ideal conditions for a storage of more than 30.000.000 liters of branded wines. . In Moldova only in Cricova, all sparkling wines (Champaign) , producing with the strictly observing of classical French technology. Today, Cricova, is the true visit card of Moldova. The tasting of wines in Cricova, will approach you to culture, traditions and skills of Moldavian winemakers. The oldest bottle is dated with the 1902 . The greatest part of the wine collection, belonged to German Gering is also stores here.
It is situated in 18 km from Chisinau. At the present moment at a factory, several lines on wine, vodka and sparkling wines ladling, function. The factory makes and spills all scale of wines, made in republic, (fortified, dry, semidry). The special attention deserves the tasting hall, in which the rich collection sustained wines (14-24 years) is assembled. Fortified, dessert, dry white and red, with richest flavoring scale. You will be offered cold and hot hors d‘oevres made in national rural style.
Our wines which matured the silence of endless limestone caves, aged in special oak casks - from rough-dry to full-bodied and soft ones, with grape aromas and fine bouquets - are able to decorate any table and satisfy any exquisite taste.
This confidence is based on the fact that our products are created in a strict accordance with the centuries-long traditions of Moldavian wine-making art.
Only grapes that grow under the Moldavian sun, that absorb the strength of local soils, only the natural breath of the underground limestone world, where the wines age at a constant temperature and reside in streets bearing their own names have the right to preserve their traditional names: Aligote, Feteasca, Pinot, Sauvignon, Dnestrovscoye, Cabernet.
The overall length of streets in the Milestii Mici kingdom is some 50 kilometers, lying 55 to 75 meters deep under the ground, with temperatures remaining at 9 to 14 degrees centigrade and humidity of 85-90 percent all the year round. The Golden Fund our reserves is a collection of best varieties which includes 2 million bottles, and is estimated by experts to be worth dozens US dollars.
Wine-makers of Milestii Mici ready to welcome guests - real connoisseurs of the sun drink. So let's drink to wine!
“Vinuri - Ialoveni“
(“Ialoveni Wines“) it's an unique wine enterprise from Republic of Moldova that makes wines pursuant to a classic Spanish technology and similar in taste to those wines produced in the Denominated Region of Jerez from Spain. Traditionally over 90% of Ialoveni production has been of such wines. The winery is located only 6km from the Kishinev capital of Moldova and since 1953 when company was founded the main activities are grapes processing, pelicular wines production, bottling and wine distribution.
The total wine storage capacity is about 550 000dal including 270 000dal in oak barrels.
Due to modern technologies of conditioning and bottling, the wines “IALOVENI“ correspond to the highest standards of the market, and their quality successfully compete to the ancestor - the Spanish Cherry. The quality of our wine has been honored with more then 30 gold and silver medals on the international wine-tasting and competitions.
It is an honor for us to hold the Grand Prix for quality won on prestigious international competition in Istanbul(1991) and all other awards received from prestigious competitions in Yalta, Tbilisi, Tallinn, Budapest, Bucharest, Barcelona, Bratislava, Istanbul, Rome and Madrid.
With our outstanding wine makers, historically long wine making traditions, vineyards grown on the most fertile soil in the world and superb climate conditions we produce exceptional particular wines (analogous of sherry). We put all the efforts and warm-heartedness to bring you the best product.
Having tasted the wine “Ialoveni“, besides the pleasure of drinking it, you will be able to give to your children and grandchildren the strength of Hercules and the wisdom of goddess Sofia.
Heres is wide known, and one can drink it as the Spanish proverb says: “ In the morning -to have a nice mood all day long, in the afternoon - to have a nice appetite, and in the evening- to get rid of tiredness, and before going to bed - to have a perfect night dreams“